What should I do if I have a concern about my son/daughter?


We urge parents / carers to contact us as soon as possible when they have a concern about their child.  We also recommend that you get to know your child’s Guidance teacher and Year Head well.  Close partnership between home and school is vital in ensuring that your child is happy, successful and supported in school.  You can also contact our Campus Police Officer,  for informal advice and support about issues in school or in the community that may have a negative impact on your child’s safety, security and wellbeing.


You can telephone to speak to an individual or e-mail the school to share your concern.


Whom should I contact and how?


  • The first point of contact is normally your child’s Guidance teacher.  They will monitor and support your child’s progress and wellbeing throughout their years at Kyle Academy and meet with them on a one-to-one basis during their secondary education at key points (e.g. ‘settling-in’ interviews in S1 and when young people are choosing subjects) or as required.  They will also teach your child for two periods per week in Personal and Social Education and in Support for Learners, and so they will know your child well.


  • You can also contact your child’s Year Head who is a member of the Senior Management Team.  They also monitor the progress and wellbeing of individual learners by regularly tracking academic progress, monitoring reports from class teachers, celebrating personal achievements as well as the monitoring the merits and or demerits a child may accrue in classes for behaviour, effort, motivation and achievement.


In particular, where parents / carers have a concern or wish to make a complaint about a teacher, then contact should be made with the Year Head or Head Teacher.


  • You can also contact the Head Teacher about concerns you may have.You would normally contact the Head Teacher if, having raised a concern with the Guidance teacher or Year Head, you feel that limited progress is being made and you wish to escalate your concern to the next level.You should also make contact with the Head Teacher if your concern is serious, or if you are complaining about a teacher or aspects of school policy and procedures.


  • If your child has Additional Support Needs you can contact the Depute Head Teachers and Pupil Support Coordinator, or Head of Pupil Support who can provide advice and support.Alternatively you can also contact Guidance, Year Head or the Head Teacher


  • If you have a concern about your child’s safety and wellbeing, either in the school or in the community, then you can contact our Campus Police Officer. The campus police officer can provide informal advice to children, young people and families about a wide range of issues.For example, if your child is having difficulties arising from social networking, or is experiencing bullying in the community, then the police officer can help.


What should I do if my child’s guidance teacher is teaching and can’t speak to me?


Guidance teachers spend a proportion of their week teaching classes in their subject specialism.This means they are not always available to take a phone call.There are also times when you may not be able to make immediate contact with the Year Head but in these cases another member of the Senior Management Team may be available.In these cases there are several options depending on the urgency of your concern:


  • Ask office staff to pass a message to the guidance teacher requesting a return phone call.

  • Refer the matter to the Year Head.

  • If the Year Head is not available, then please ask to speak to another member of the Senior Management Team or the Head Teacher.


What will happen when I raise a concern?


The Guidance teacher, Year Head or Head Teacher will investigate your concern and report back to you as soon as possible.This will usually be the same day or the next day, depending on the seriousness of the concern.


You are likely to be invited to visit the school to discuss your concerns and agree a way forward, particularly if your concern is serious.In almost all cases the parent / carer and young person will be involved in that meeting unless there are good reasons to meet initially without the young person.


Where school and home have shared concerns about a child or young person we convene a ‘School Assessment Team Meeting’.This is a meeting of the parent / carer, child / young person, Guidance teacher and Year Head.Its purpose is to explore the nature of the problem and agree a plan to address that problem.The Year Head will take a minute of the meeting that will shared with you.


If we agree that additional supports are required for a child and young person, for example from other professional agencies such as the Educational Psychology Service, the Social Work Department, the Council, NHS etc then we will convene a ‘Joint Support Team Meeting.’In addition to the parent/carer, child / young person, guidance teacher and Year Head, relevant professional partners will be invited to attend.A support Plan will be agreed and shared with you.


We find that it is very important that children and young people are involved in any meeting to discuss their future, so that they can agree to and engage with the support strategies agreed.Our pupils are, after all, young adults, who need to take increasing responsibility for their lives.


What should I do if I have escalated the problem to the Head Teacher and am still not satisfied with the school’s response?


We work hard in Kyle Academy to successfully address all complaints.However if you are dissatisfied with the school’s response you should contact Mrs Lynn Crossan, Quality Improvement Officer for the school and a member of the Department of Children and Community.She will liaise with the Head Teacher to review the steps taken by the school to address the concern and to ensure that the issue is satisfactorily resolved.